Both basketball teams are well underway and it appears that both have the potential to have good seasons. The men with players like TJ Heatherington, Jimmy Sherwood, and Kris Douse opened their campaign with two wins in the Lord Amhurst tournament. The women with Ashley Henderson and April Austin along with newcomer Anna-Marie Boshkova appear to be in the right direction to be atop of the AMC Conference. Tonight both teams will be in action, the ladies will be at Fairmont St, and the men at West Liberty. The Hilltoppers are an outstanding team. Ranked twelve in NCAA DII, the Pioneers will have their hands full. West Liberty is coming off a season-opening win over Lock Haven 154-46, yes thats right, a 108 point victory. If your a green and gold fan you should be shaking in your boots. There is good news, the Pioneers are not Lock Haven, they are not a good club. The Pioneers can score, but not 154 points. PPU could put up 100 and not be competitive. That’s a problem. But that is why they play the game. Tonight will be a David and Goliath matchup, David won that match. Its the USSR vs USA in Lake Placid, USA won that match. Its the USA vs Iceland in D2, the USA Ducks won that game. What I am saying is anything can happen, but with that said their is also the UConn women that were favorites in all of there games in the 79 game win streak they are currently in. All i know is you should listen LIVE tonight at 7:30 on WPPJ and the MSA Sports Network. Myself and Aaron Cooney will bring you all the action from West Virginia. Here are my keys to the game
1. Shot for Shot: The Hilltoppers can score, a lot… That is obvious by the 156 they put up already. If you want to stand a chance in this one then you better score when they do, and score when they don’t. I know you won’t be going perfect from the field. But you have to shoot well to win.
2. Watch the turnovers: WL likes to press, you have to watch the amount of turnovers you commit and limit them. That puts a big watchful eyes on TJ Heatherington and Joel Cashatt. Have to take care of your possessions.
3. They aren’t who you think they are: Do not treat them like they are great, if you do, youll lose even before the tip. Its just another game, be on top of your game and anything can happen.
1. You are who you think you are: Your good, you know it, everyone does. Play like it, and you will cruise to victory. You don’t want an ugly win to an unranked NAIA team do you?
2. Pressure on: You forced over 25 turnovers in the game against Lock Haven. That is your offense, a good defense. Use that to your advantage and take control early.
3. Establish the inside: PPU is not a big team underneath. Go inside and prove that you are able to dominate the post.
That’s all she wrote folks, don’t forget to tune in this evening for some great college basketball action LIVE on 670 AM WPPJ and the MSA Sports Network.