Ahhh just like last week their is that smell in the air, no not the awkward one outside lawrence hall that smells kind of like chlorine, no but another basketball season is about to start this evening. Yes this time it is the women’s basketball team in the spotlight this week as the men are off. This morning the ladies are traveling West to Rio Grande Ohio to take part in the Bevo Francis Tournament. Other teams in the tournament are Midway, Daemen, and of course the host Red Storm. Point Park is filled with talent again this year under 5th year head coach Sam Kosanovich. Players like Ashley Henderson, April Austin, Heather Swedish, Joncelyn Peterkin, and Kristen Veseleny welcome new faces like Anaa-Marie Boshkova, Teresa Davis, Kristen Beatty, and Sarah Sandin. Talent wise this could very well be the best team in the history of the Point Park program. It would be tough to find excuses why the Pioneers would not be a strong team a top the AMC. They are well rounded offensively and defensively. Long on the inside with players like Peterkin and Boshkova, they have range with players like Austin, Henderson, Swedish, Veseleny, Beatty… Well they all can almost step out and knock it down so I am not going to name all of them. They are deep which is something you could not say for a long time about the women’s basketball team. This team could potentially go 10 deep. That is not common. They have a big test tonight though to see how they should stand. The Red Storm are a former AMC team, however they moved up to NAIA DI, so a win tonight should prove to be a big step in the right direction for the Pioneers. Now for the keys of the game.
1. Establish an inside presence: Have to work it inside out. Get Peterkin working early, then Boshkova off the bench to open of the dagger that this team has, the deep ball. Inside outside has always been a philosophy for me, and heck, it works a lot.
2. Get out early: Don’t what to have bus lag against a D1 team on the road. Leaving early today to try and avoid that. Bus time is 8:30, game-time is 6. So a lot of time for the ladies to relax and get their legs after the 4 hour bus trip.
3. Penetration: You have a lot of guards of this team that can beat their girl off the dribble and either drive and score or kick to the open player. This is one of the things that the ladies did well last year and would like to see it again now.
1. Get out early: This is a good PPU team, you have to come out early and try and slow them down. Do that and you can get into the Pioneers head and get them on the ropes, and bad things could happen.
2. Defend the 3: Let PPU do what they want on the inside, but you have to beware that almost everyone on this team can shoot from downtown. Don’t get lazy.
Thats all she wrote folks, I have to get to that bus. Don’t forget, myself and Kevin Calhoun will bring you all the action LIVE right here on 670 AM WPPJ and the MSA Sports Network at msasports.net. 6 PM game-time, 5:45 pregame, listen in tonight and catch my blog previewing tomorrows game, tomorrow morning.