Nothing like starting off a basketball season like upsetting the #25 team in the nation. Thats just what the Pioneers did last night beating the Siena Heights Saints 81-70. I hate to say I told you so, but I did. The Pioneers were able take some of my keys (I am sure that Coach Rager did not read the blog) execute them, and roll to victory. The true test to see where the Pioneers stand might not even be in their game today against Maine Fort Kent (MFK). It will actually be a bit later when the host Daemen Wildcats take on Siena Heights. Seeing what Daemen does against the Saints will show where the win last night by the Pioneers stands. Last night Damen defeated MFK by over 40. So today, it would appear, the Pioneers should be able to roll especially with the way they played last night. Big games from TJ Heatherington, Jimmy Sherwood, as well as Kris Douse. All of those players were in double-figures. Sherwood held the Pioneers together in the second half as things seemed to be falling apart. He went to the line a mind-boggling 26 times. Another player that stood out to me was freshman Josh Pohlot who was able to dominate the boards when he was in the game making his presence felt. We will have to see how he following that up today at 2 PM right here on WPPJ. Lets get to my keys of the game.
Point Park Keys:
1. Don’t have a hangover: No not the one when you spend a bit too much time on Carson Street. But the won when you think that you did something really well and then come out flat in your next game. Just happen to my Tottenham boys overseas losing to a team they should not have lost to. PPU should beat MFK, they need to make sure that they are focused. Coach Rager will not allow a let down here.
2. Rebound, Rebound, Rebound: The Pioneers did it very well last night. They cleaned the class when it was dirty. From Douse, Alexander, and Pohlot, that backboard was cleaned up well by the Pioneers all night long.
3. Run like the wind: The transition offense was in full gear last night and it needs to continue today. That is the Pioneers offense, running up and down the floor. They do it well with TJ running the point, they also have others that are capable of running it like Cashatt and Sherwood.
1. Get out early: MFK got behind very early last night against Daemen, 16-3 to be exact. They can not do that again here tonight they need to get the lead and stay with it.
2. Pressure the Pioneers: You do not what to see PPU run up and down the floor all night long. You need to try and stop that transition and the fast break. Make buckets and press the Pioneers try to disrupt that flow a bit. Siena Heights did not do it last night and they lost, try and do it tonight maybe a different result will happen.
Well thats all she wrote. Time for me to go get dressed and get some brunch. Daemen has always been good hosts, nothing like free food. Don’t forget to listen this afternoon at 2 PM. You can do it right here on 670 AM WPPJ, as well as the MSA Sports Network at www.msasports.net.
Did you miss the game? Hear it in it’s entirety below