I got it right! Yay finally. But more importantly two entertaining games were played on Saturday vs the Yellow Jackets. The women had a heck of a first half against the 9th ranked team in the country but were not able to pull through in the end as the fell 70-59. Joncelyn Peterkin had a good game with 20 points and 9 rebounds but other than the the Pioneers did not get too much production. Ashley Henderson and April Austin struggled again from the field going a combined 3-28. That is just not going to do it for the Pioneers. They did finally see some bench production coming from Sarah Sandin who had 9 points all in the first half. Key work being in the first half. She did not see much action in the second half. Why? Not sure. Tonights match-up will bring Roberts Wesleyan into town and the Raiders struggle on the road. They are 10-7 overall, have only played in three road games, and have lost all three of those games. Only one Raider is in double-figures in scoring on average for the season and it is from Brittany McMillon who is averaging 10.4 per contest. She is a very good post player and is good off the dribble. It will be a good matchup between her and Peterkin on the inside. Lets get to the keys.
PPU: 1. Get the stars started: Need to have Henderson and Austin going early on. The struggling has gone on for long enough, time to get onto a roll.
2. Cancel the Bigs: If you can get Peterkin’s production to cancel out McMillion’s production then the Pioneers should be in good shape to roll at home.
3. Bench Production: I still, really want to see the bench get involved whether it comes from points, rebounds, intensity level, some type of production whether it be in the stat column or not.
4. 2nd half hangover: Adding a 4th key which doesn’t really need to be said but I am saying it anyone. If you play well in the first half, don’t get a hangover for the 2nd. Continue with the momentum and get a BIG win.
RWC Keys: 1. Best the Press: Pioneers love to try and trap at halfcourt and that slows down a lot of teams. You need to beat that quickly so you are not stuck with only 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock.
2. Stop Penetration: PPU’s offense lives and dies by penetration, if you can stop it you will be in good shape and keep the Pioneers in low numbers, if not, watch out.
3. Establish McMillion: Last thing you need to do on the road is to become one-dementional. Get her going and that should open the perimeter shooting.
Prediction. Pioneers getting a much needed win to stop this bleeding. They roll 78-60
Over to the Men’s side of things if I would have told you that Jimmy Sherwood would not play, then TJ Heatherington would be injured in the first 30 seconds of the game would you believe that the Pioneers would win? I wouldn’t either, but the did. By far playing their BEST game in a long time against Cedarville and getting an overtime win. Joel Cashatt and Josh Trocchio had big days from everywhere on the floor including beyond the arc. Also, freshman Robbie Heatherington little brother of TJ stepped in for his brother in a big way having 18 points. Tonight Sherwood will not play and Heatherington is doubtful. Starting backcourt out again and the opponent is no pushover. Roberts is only 7-10 but they have dealt with the injury bug all season long and they are finally starting to get healthy so this is a team to watch out for. This team is on a slide though, losing 10 of their last 12, but I can not stress this enough, they are better than what their record shows. If they play, guys like Dan Foley (15.2 PPG), Jordan Heath (15 PPG) and Alif Bland (8.5 PPG) will give Point Park matchup problems. Now to the keys.
PPU: 1. Get Robbie going: If he gets the nod tonight for the Pioneers then he needs to get going early to get his confidence up. When the confidence is up he is a very good player.
2. Rebound Rebound Rebound: Don’t give the Raiders more opportunities, Crash the boards and get out into transition. Its what you like to do and you are good at it. Don’t limit your offense by not cleaning the glass.
3. Get the 3 going: When Cedarville got back into the game Saturday it was when the Pioneers struggled shooting the 3. You have a lot of people that can get in there and shoot the longball. You have to get the open looks to do it. Work it inside and the outside will open up.
RWC: 1. Keep Douse off the window: Box him out early and try and get into his head, if you give him free reign at the space he wants it will be a long, long day.
2. Speed Limit: Limit the Pioneers that will try and run. Whether you put some pressure on them or whatever, do not let them run or they will put up over 100
Prediction: This is a definite upset alert game. But all the Pioneers need to do is play their game and they will take care of business. Pioneers sweep 95-77
That will do it folks. Don’t forget to listen live on the MSA Sports Network or 670 AM WPPJ. There are also fan vans to the game tonight so hop on board and come watch the Pioneers.